As you know there must be an address for the Landlord shown on the AST for the service of notices (Under Section 48, Landlord and Tenant Act 1987).

This is usually the Landlord’s home address, but if the Landlord lives overseas or does not have a fixed, or safe address at the time the tenancy is drawn up then you may use a ‘care of’ address such as your agency, a relative of the landlord or the Landlord’s business address.

Historically this address has been shown as “c/o” on our tenancies.

However a Barrister-at-Law recently wrote:
“You only need to provide the tenant with an address in England and Wales for the serving of notices. That means if the tenant serves notice on the landlord at that address (e.g., notice of disrepair, or court proceedings against them) the notice will almost certainly be regarded as ‘validly’ served, even if the Landlord has not seen it. You do not have to give the Landlord’s home address. Using the expression “care of” does not mean anything technically, and I should avoid it: the reason being that I have heard District Judges refuse to make possession orders even where there are significant rent arrears because “a ‘care of’ address is not the landlord’s address”.

Therefore, whilst we have never heard of any of any problems seeking possession on any of our tenancies, we will no longer be use the prefix “c/o” on any of our tenancies – just to be on the safe side.

Please note that whatever address is used on the tenancy as the address for service of notices, it must be an actual address and not a PO box, for example, where the Landlord will receive the notice.